Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Simple Crocheted Scarf




Here are directions for my favorite crocheted scarf. It's easy to do, and over the years I've made several of them as gifts in all different colors. I happened to have one that was semi-completed sitting in a box, so I took these two photos. I think my favorites were the ones in a white with a silvery strand running through them.

For best results, you'll want to look for Bernat Coordinates yarn. It's a sports weight yarn usually in or near the baby section, and is in many different pastel colors. It's a soft, lightweight, "nubby" yarn with a sort of silvery or shiny "thread" through it. It has no dye lot (at least it didn't a few years ago when I was making several of these).

When I crochet the scarves I generally make them long, around 54 inches, and they're a little over 13 inches wide. The fringe I add on each end is about 5 inches long. This yarn makes a pretty wavy style fringe.

Now, here are the directions ~ which are very, very easy! It goes quickly, and you don't have to pay a lot of attention as you work because it's the same stitch over and over again... nothing complicated at all.


SCARF DIRECTIONS

1 to 1-1/2 skeins Bernat Coordinates
Crochet hook size G


Ch 62 loosely.

Row 1: Insert hook in second chain from hook and pull up a loop, insert hook in next ch and pull up a loop, yarn over (YO) an draw through all 3 loops on hook, ch 1, *(insert hook in next ch and pull up a loop) twice, YO and draw through all 3 loops on hook, ch 1; repeat from * across to last ch, sc in last ch: 61 sts.

Row 2: Ch 1, turn; [insert hook in same st and pull up a loop, insert hook in next ch-1 sp and pull up a loop, YO and draw through all 3 loops on hook], ch 1, * [insert hook in next st and pull up a loop, insert hook in next ch-1 sp and pull up a loop, YO and draw through all 3 loops on hook, ch 1; repeat from * across to last st, sc in last st.

Repeat Row 2 until scarf reaches desired length. Finish off. Add fringe.

1 comment:

Nunnie's Attic said...

I think I'll print the directions and take them to my Mommy. She crochets and I have started but I so confused so easily. But I would to try. So thank you!

Love,
Julie