The Keeping of Christmas turned one year old on November 1st! I was so busy with things that I didn't even realize it, although I should have remembered, since I started this blog just a few weeks after I began Joyful Blessings.
The reason I noticed the anniversary of this blog is because I came across an email I sent to one of my lists last year on November 2nd. It included things on my to-do list for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I really had to smile when I noticed that it's almost exactly the same as my to-do list this year. I guess some things never change :)
So, since I'm a big list maker, here's my letter that I wrote last year on November 2nd. No need to re-do it since everything seems to still apply!
How can it possibly be November??!! I have too much on my "to do and make" list, and it's never going to get done. So, the rest of this week I'm concentrating my efforts on organizing myself for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm working on some lists:
THANKSGIVING:
Menu
Shopping List
Table decorations
Serving dishes used only on special occasions
Linens for the table
Next is Christmas. Lists there are:
GIFTS:
~ Refine my gift list of people that I keep on the computer (as an email in my drafts folder ~ I check it often throughout the year and update things by using different colors)
~ Items still needed to purchase (I've been shopping throughout the year so I'm already finished with a few people)
~ Items still to be made. I'm afraid this will be cut down from my original plans. I've been spending too much time cross stitching and not working on gifts, lol.
CARDS:
~ I've had all our cards since the spring (when Lang had a really great online sale!). I need to go over my list and will start addressing envelopes next week.
~ Decide on a photo to copy and include.
~ Start writing notes and letters. I like to make them personal and handwritten, so I'll pull out my holiday stationery and start working on them. If I find myself running short on time, I can always type up something for the ones that are left.
BAKING:
~ I want to go through my books and pull out the cookie recipes to make this year. I'm hoping to get lots of extras done, to use as gifts. Since we mail most of our gifts around the country (due to several moves, lol), I'd like to get this done early and mail them just after Thanksgiving.
~ So, that means I'll make up shopping lists this week. I've already begun adding items to my regular weekly shopping so it's not such a big amount all at once.
~ I also need to purchase some more tins for shipping the cookies.
MEALS:
~ Finally, I need to go through favorite cookbooks and come up with meals for the holiday. Since we'll have a houseguest for a week, I want to come up with some special meals for that time, as well as for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day.
I also want to come up with some meal ideas/menus for the next several weeks, up to the holidays. That way I don't have to think, and can just look at my list of ideas :) DH travels often, so it's difficult to plan too far ahead of what I'll make each night. As long as I have a list of menus and all the ingredients in the freezer and pantry (which I normally do), life will be
easier.
And.... since we'll have a houseguest, I need to make a list of things to do in the guestroom
to make it welcoming. I love to put up a small tree, add a basket with goodies, and use pretty linens.
I know I'm probably forgetting something, but that's a good start :) I decided to go ahead and tell all of you my plans, so that I can be held accountable as we go along. I've pulled a few books off my shelves which have some wonderful ideas for the holidays, and I hope to get those shared with all of you. Now, I'm off to start those lists!!
~ Joanne
PS Since I've been in a Christmas mood, I couldn't resist starting a Christmas blog, lol. I have a lot more to add to my favorites, but this is a start. If you want to check it out, it's here:
http://thekeepingofchristmas.blogspot.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'm all about the lists this year. And you have some really great ideas. Thanks for sharing them and congratulations on your one-year anniversary!!
Love,
Julie
I would particularly like to see that guest room! It sounds so welcoming. What a good thing to make such a list. I think writing things down takes them out of what I've heard described as the "thought factory" of our brains. I find it so clearing. Happy first year anniversary of blogging!
Hi
I popped over after Julie at Nunnie's Attic pointed the way here. I'm so glad. Love your blog.
Hugs!
Kat
Congratulations on your 1 year in blogging!! I am sure you have met the
nicest people within the Bloglandia!
I find it so much fun meeting and greeting new friends this way and find there are so many kind caring spirits!
Come by my blog as I am having a.....
((((((((GIVEAWAY))))))))) :) NG
I'm here from Nunnies Attic...and I love, love, love this blog!!
Have a great day!
Post a Comment