Saturday, December 02, 2006

Scented Soap Balls

"A handmade gift says, 'I love you; you are important to me; you are worthy of my time and my best effort'."

~ Catherine Marshall

This is something I decide to do each year, but always forget until it's too late. However, since I remembered early enough, I'm going to try making some of these this year... perhaps this weekend! The recipe calls for lavender and lavender oil, but I've seen these made from various herbs and they smelled wonderful!! It would be fun to experiment with this simple recipe using your favorites.

SCENTED SOAP BALLS

2 large bars of castile or unscented soap or soap ends (about 3-1/4 cups when grated)
1/3 cup boiling water
1 Tablespoon dried lavender buds
Lavender oil

~ Pour the boiling water over the dried lavender buds and let this steep for 15 minutes.

~ Grate the bars of soap into a large bowl and set aside.

~ Re-heat the liquid and add 4-5 drops of lavender oil. Pour over the grated soap, and knead the mixture together, forming it into balls about the size of your palm.

~ Place the balls on a piece of waxed paper and air-dry for 2 to 5 days. If they become "gritty", run them briefly under water and smooth with your hands. Allow them to dry again.

~ Store the balls unwrapped until you're ready to give them as gifts. Then use nylon netting or tulle and a pretty ribbon to decorate. Or, you could wrap them in a pretty calico fabric and tie with raffia for a more homespun look.

No comments: